Ang website ng Pamilya Moulic

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Miss Universe Habit


Today was a treat for me and for any other woman (and gays as well) because of the coronation of the Miss Universe 2007. People from around the world converge in a single monent and it only happens when this event occurs. Never mind the issues on feminists rights; of wearing swimsuits as poor judgement on the beauty of a woman; or that it is flaunting too much of a conservative dame. Watching the Miss Universe pageant is at least fulfilling my forgotten dream (and every girls dream I guess) of being a beauty queen.

Looking at my past, I seem to be surrounded by facts about beauty pageants. For one, my name was taken from a Miss Universe candidate from Columbia. So I wouldn't mind if anyone calls me Miss Columbia or Mrs. Columbia to be accurate hehehe...Another thing is that my Tita Bong Dimayacyac is a Mutya ng Pilipinas Winner with the title of Miss Asia Pacific. Tita Bong is the first cousin of my mom. I could remember vividly when the Dimayacyac clan were watching the live telecast of Tita Bong's pageant night where she eventually won. Since then I have anxiously waited to watch beauty pageants both local and international ones. My mom also was recognized for her beauty when she was chosen as Reyna Emperatriz during her haydays in the beautiful island of Oriental Mindoro.

My dear husband respects this enjoyment I have whenever I watch shows such as these and he would voluntarily take care of chores for me when I am glued to the tube. Like this morning when the Miss Universe 2007 was on cable, I heard him say to Matthew, "Matthew behave, mom is watching TV".

This year's winner, Miss Japan Riyo Mori was indeed a deserving winner. Other finalists such as Miss Korea and Miss Brazil may be more beautiful than she is but I believe the judges saw how natural she was on stage. The others were too concerned about their poise, and how they should conduct themselves in a formal manner but Riyo was waving like a normal person and projected that she was really, really having fun even during that crucial and perennial question-and-answer portion. Thus I give my thumbs up to the judges for seeing beyond beauty and poise but considering the true person in the candidates. Mabuhay Riyo!

No comments: